Jan. 30, 2020
After the Jan. 12th conjunction of Saturn, Pluto, Sun, & Mercury in Capricorn, all of which happened within orb of both my natal moon and my descendant, I entered a meditation and found myself in a grey and ashy landscape.
I stood within an apocalyptic snow globe. Instead of a fresh, cozy winterscape, before me stretched a post-volcanic-eruption scene. The land was laid bare, and the low rumbling of distant earthquakes pulsed like bass through my core as I watched ash slowly dance the atmosphere. No enchanting glitter here.
The scene then shifted to memories of lighting sage, which I do daily as a clearing and purification ritual. I enjoy slowly blowing the ember and watching it spread into the spaces of dried sage as I direct it.
I suddenly witness myself as every aspect of this act.
I am the provider of the wind through my breath, which feeds the fire and is representative of my egoic perspective that steers the direction of my life. I am the ember that burns— these are my actions. I am the purging smoke that rises— the karmic consequences that follow my actions. And I am the ash that floats, a reflection of both the charred remains of something which is no longer and yet carries the force which fertilizes the future.
Through this process of living, potentials erupt into being, ignite, and burn out. A new ground is set forth, which blossoms into new forms of fullness. The cycle eternally continues and repeats.
During this post-volcanic-eruption era, I am standing back and surveying both inner and outer landscapes. Here are the questions on my mind:
- What all has been laid to waste?
- What structures seemed solid and enduring yet only proved to disintegrate with little resistance?
- What relationships, assumptions, perceptions, and beliefs have altered so drastically that I can no longer recognize any of their preceding characteristics?
- What should be rebuilt, and what should merely become dust in the wind?
- What will nourish new growth, and what will solidify into new foundational bedrock?
- Who is this person who remains, centered and calm, accessing the aftermath with such clarity?
- What was lost, and what remains?
This particular astrological lineup was very personal for me, and I’ve been feeling it and living through it for many years now— most noticeably kicking into action around 2013 when Pluto transited my natal south node and continuing with peaks in 2015 and 2019 as it approached my natal moon.
My experience may or may not parallel the experience and perspectives others, and every transit affects people in unique manifestations.
However, the Pluto/Saturn alignment is a major astrological event for the entire planet. Some examples of ways we might catch sight of this are as follows:
- the challenging of systems, leaders, and obsolete protocols
- the questioning of various elements of status quo within organizations and power structures
- the resurfacing of shadowy residuals within the collective, such as the consequences of pollution & environmental exploitation and the complexities of racism, sexism, and other forms of oppression
- the driving, passionate force to take action and revise what is no longer acceptable or bearable
- the crumbling of things that seemed unchangeable
Do you feel your own variation of this post-volcanic-eruption? Do you see it in the world around you? What do you do to find your way through it?
It is best to let go of that which no longer works or serves you, including relationships, living situations, jobs, outdated attitudes, & toxic habits.
This is an opportunity to break free of dilapidated patterns. Let the cracked and crumbling walls fall, and watch as the dust settles.
Take comfort in warm relationships, and call upon all the self-care tricks you carry in your psychospiritual toolkit:
- Go for hikes
- Dive into therapy (especially depth-oriented and/or transpersonal approaches)
- Retreat into meditation
- Try ecstatic dance
- Experiment with art
- Sign up for Holotropic Breathwork
- Check out your astrological natal chart or transits– there are tons of apps and amazing practitioners out there!
- Make extra time for sipping herbal teas and luxuriating in salt baths
- Revitalize your body with beautifully nourishing meals with lots of grounding foods, like root vegetables
- Take in extra water while visualizing crystal clear mountain streams overflowing from fresh snowmelt
- Find whatever modalities fill and replenish your soul, and go for it!
And bear in mind that while we’ve passed through a pivotal astrological moment, there is always more to come in this ever-unfolding Great Mystery.
Nothing is linear, and everything is multilayered.
If you need extra support navigating this demanding time, book a Transpersonal Session to consult the skies and/or your inner wellspring of dreams. It’s an honor to support people in this way, especially during these intense and transformative times.